Sunday, December 13, 2009

Religion, Science, Fear, Reason, and Turbulence

I was reading The Extended Phenotype, a book about evolution, by Richard Dawkins, a near militant atheist, on the plane ride to Philly. The guy next to me was reading the bible. At one point there was some turbulence, and it felt like near free fall for a second or two. I had my head down at the time, and noticed him jolt and grab the arm rests. I looked up and sort of grinned and he asked if I knew that was going to happen. I said no, it’s just turbulence.

I did not have a natural fear reaction like he did. My natural reaction was there must be some reason and everything will be ok. I think it may be because my conscious mind when it goes on a plane somehow turns off fear signals from the unconscious, but I’m not sure. But given our choices of reading material for the flight, I thought about a more interesting question: Are religious people more fearful than scientifically minded people? Is there causation in either direction? One purpose of religion seems to be to relieve people of fears about uncertainty in life (“God has a plan for me”, etc.). Are fearful people then drawn more to religion? My reaction of “there must be a reason for this” could certainly come from scientifically minded indoctrination, but also maybe I’m drawn to scientific thinking because I’m drawn to reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment